Wednesday, June 24, 2009

shedding some light: trip details.

To shed some light on what exactly God has me doing in Uganda, I will try to use some pictures, keep it brief, and make it fun.

My journey starts in Washington, D.C. on Monday, June 29th. My friend Meghann and I fly through the night to London, where we will spend an entire day exploring during our day-long layover. (I've never been to Europe - I am so pumped for this little rendevous!) We fly to Uganda late the 30th with the rest of our team to finally land bright and early in Entebbe, Uganda on July 1st. We will have a beautiful 5-hour trek to the hospital site in Mbale, Uganda. I'm told this is when a lot of African children chase our bus, and we have an opportunity to really capture the country. I can't wait :)

Mbale is in eastern Uganda, as can be seen below with a little red dot.


I have the amazing privilege of traveling with CURE International. Their mission statement is partly as follows:
"CURE is passionate about the physical and spiritual healing of disabled children in developing countries. As a Christian nonprofit organization, this is our passion and the foundation of what we have been doing for ten years."

Below is a quick picture of the hospital I will be volunteering in.


As you all know, I am a teacher and not a medical person. In fact, I don't like blood and such, and I barely made it through getting my immunizations for the trip without passing out. Haha, it's unfortunately true. But the opportunity to serve in this capacity is something that God has been shaping deep in my heart. More on that later :)

CURE provides a lot of awesome information on their website as is linked above, but here is the link to some information on the specific Mbale hospital called CURE Children's Hospital of Uganda. Use the links on the side panel of the site to navigate more.

Here is the beautiful face you'll see on the first page, a boy named Ian who underwent the hospital's surgery specialty - treating children with hydrocephalus.


No comments:

Post a Comment